Old maps of the area
Here are some sections of early maps drawn before
Winton became a recognised settlement. Some do however show a
Winton South of Ringwood. This is in fact the village that has
now become Winkton.
Winchester was also sometimes known as Winton.
For some notes of this group of maps see the "Heathland
The development of Winton
Winton first appears in maps towards the end of
the 19th century. Notes on this group of maps can be found on
the "Victorian Vision"
Note that Bournemouth was part of Hampshire until
the 1974 local authority reorganisation put it in Dorset.
in about 1895
in about 1923
1920's map showing southern
perimeter of the racecourse/airfield
in about 1929
in about 1939
in about 1962